Monday, June 11, 2012

Are You Gonna Get Any Better, Or Is This It? - Earl Weaver

Sometimes I come across a quote and it sticks with me all day.  Today was one of those days.  I was reading a book of motivational quotes, The Power of Thinking Big by John C. Maxwell and Earl's Weaver's quote really stuck out to me in relation to health and fitness.
Are you gonna get any better, or is this it?
When you are thinking about what your goal is for each workout, each week, each month, each routine, each year, this should be in your mind.  Sure, you could go through the motions, but is that going to make you any better?

I'm always striving to be better.  If I'm doing a strength training workout, I want to increase my reps and or weights from my previous attempt.  When i'm doing a cardio workout, I want to do more reps, push harder, go faster, burn more calories.  When I'm doing yoga or a recovery workout, I want to breathe better and increase my range of motion and flexibility.  When I'm working with the people that I coach, I want to give the best information and mentoring that I can.  Their success or failure reflects on me.

I want you to do the same things.  Focus on getting better.  If you don't, you've already peaked and you're just wasting your time.  In all parts of our life, there is always room to improve.  Keep working on getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment