Monday, June 25, 2012

My Best Nutrition Tips for Weight Loss

Not everything works for everyone.  What might have helped a friend lose weight might not work for you.  What your spouse is doing to lose weight might be too extreme or not extreme enough for you.  That fad diet you saw the celebrity do might not be the best thing for you.

I think I've had pretty good success at being able to dial in my nutrition to get good results.  I went from my highest ever on a scale of 215 lbs down to 155 lbs and was able to maintain that.  It didn't happen over night.  It took months of trial and error before I was able to really lock it down, find the right combination and start losing.  Keep reading to see what has worked best for me.


1.  Keep Track of What You Eat

The single biggest eye-opener for me came when I started using MyFitnessPal to track my nutrition daily.  Until I knew what I was putting in my body, I didn't know what I needed to adjust.  Being able to see the calories in and the consequwences of some eating decisions really helped drive home the permanent changes that I needed to make.  I also showed me when I needed to make adjustements to my daily plan and to actually be able to plan my meals.

2. Maintain a Caloric Deficit

The most basic premise of weight loss is that calories in must be less than calories out.  You expend calories all day just to keep your body functioning.  If you go for a walk, you burn a little more.  If you do an intense workout, you burn even more.  If you take in fewer calories than you burn on a daily basis, you will begin to lose weight.  Remember that it takes about 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat.  A safe caloric deficit of 500 calories per day will net you 1 lb of loss per week.

3. Watch Your Macros

Used in combination with maintaining a deficit is to get the right mix of macronutrients - carbohydrates, fats, proteins.  The right mix will get your body to burn the fats for energy allowing you to become leaner.  If you're going to lose weight, it might as well be fat.  What worked best for my was a mix of 40% carbs, 40% proteins, and 20% fats, based on calories.  If you are using MyFitnessPal, the breakdown will automatically get tracked for you and you can tweak to get the right mix for you.  This ratio doesn't work for everyone, but in general, I would keep fats low, but no lower than 15% and work on the mix from there.

4. Eat with Variety

Some people need to eat the same things everyday.  I couldn't do that.  I want to eat different things everyday so that I don't get bored.  There is a world of great food out there.  As long as you plan what you are goind to eat and make good choices, you can experice all that the world of meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains has to offer.  Who knows, you may find a few new favorites.

5. Drink Shakeology

Shakeology really is the healthiest meal of the day.  Starting Shakeology, for me, corresponded with the real start of my weight loss production.  It's great as a meal replacement; it's full of wonderful vitamins, minerals, probiotics, super foods, and phytonutrients; and it tastes great.  When I was really trying to lose weight, I replaced a breakfast or lunch everyday with a Shakeology shake.  It filled me up and kept me satisfied for a long time.  I don't know if there's a better alternative out there, but for me, Shakeology has worked wonders.

If you want to lose weight, now you know what worked for me.  If you employ any of these tips, it will set you down the right path.  Keep at it.  If you want to lose weight, I'm sure you didn't put the weight on in two weeks, so give the process time to work and you will start to see results.

No comments:

Post a Comment