Monday, June 11, 2012

Recipe - Sausage and Egg White Scramble

I travel alot for work, but when I'm home, I like to cook.  I always try to have breakfast be one of my largest meals of the day, and as healthy as possible.  I like eggs.  I like meat.  I like a little heat.  Lately, my favorite breakfast has been a turkey sausage and egg white scramble.  You also hae a great canvas to add some of your favorite other vegetables to round out your nutrients.
I like to use mostly egg whites, but I add in an egg for flavor and color.  Turkey sausage is a great source of lean protein, and the cheese gives it a nice flavor and texture.  To kick up the heat, I use some of my favorite hot sauce, but you can adjust that as needed.  Some of my favorite add-ons are baby spinach and mushrooms, but you can add peppers, onions, tomatoes, or any other vegetables you like into this.

As I have it laid out here, the whole meal is 407 calories.  It has 34g of protein, 6g of carbs, and 24g of fat, much of which comes from the healthy safflower oil that I use for cooking.

Ingredients

2 links pre-cooked turkey sausage
2 tsp safflower oil
1 C liquid egg whites
1 large egg
1 Tbsp skim milk
1 tsp hot sauce (e.g. Tabasco or Tapatio)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 oz low-fat shredded cheese
Optional
1 C raw baby spinach
1/2 C mushrooms - chopped

Preparation

Prepare the sausage per the directions on the package.  I prefer cooking it in a pan instead of the microwave to give it a better texture
Slice the sausage into small pieces
Preheat the oil in a non-stick pan of medium-low heat
In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites, the egg, the milk, the hot sauces and some salt and pepper
Add the sausage back to the pan.  Also add any vegetables at this time.
Cook for a minute or two until the sausage is browned, greens are wilted, and vegetables are tender, crisp.
Add the egg mixture to the pan right over the sausage and vegetables.
Continue cooking the eggs to 3-4 mixing and stirring with a silicone spatula to scramble the eggs
Once the eggs are fairly set, add the cheese and mix for 1 more minute.
Transfer the egg scramble to your plate and enjoy.

This is a quick and easy breakfast that you can mix and match to your own preferences and get your nutrition day off to a great start.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment