Tuesday, August 21, 2012

It Takes Many Small Steps

As a part of my journey to become a better person, coach, mentor, employee, father, I have been reading The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson; great book by the way.  One of the themes that keeps recurring is that you can't just magically jump to the finish line.  If we could, we'd all look like fitness models, be running multi-billion dollar companies, and be taking month long vacations around the world whenever we chose.  There's no reason any of us couldn't be there someday, but it takes work to get there.  Everything you put in motion today and keep moving forward tomorrow and every day after will put you closer to your goals.

P90x is a 90 day program.  Hundreds of people every month lose 10, 20, even 60 pounds in one 90 day cycle.  Thousands more quit because they didn't lost 10 lbs the first week.  I didn't lose weight the first time I did P90x, but I got stronger.  When I really went for it and really committed, I started losing weight.  It was slow at first, but as I got stronger and faster, I was able to do more.  I was able to burn more calories and as a result lose more weight until I got closer to my desired size.  Now, I'm trying to add muscle and bulk.  If I expected to look like the trainers after 90 days, I would have quit.  If I wanted to lift the same weights, I would have quit.  But, each week, I am able to add a little more weight than I did the week before and my body is adapting and responding.  I know that I'm not going to look like Sagi Kalev after 3 months, but I'm not going to look like I did on day 1 either.  It takes constant incremental change to improve.  Then, one day you look in the mirror or at the scale and, WHAM, Results!!!!

Quit and you quit improving.  Be realistic, keep putting in the work, and you will get results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment