Thursday, April 19, 2012

Neuro-Integrated Stretching

Continuing on the topic of some of my favorite things that I was introduced to in P90x2, today I want to talk about neuro-integrated stretching or NIS.  The first time it was introduced at the end of the Plyocide workout, I was so impressed that I had to try it a second time that night and kept talking about it with my wife.

The concept behind NIS is to work opposing muscles.  By flexing and tightening one muscle, its opposite muscle will loosen and release a bit.  Think tightening your quad to help stretch your hamstring.  It's a difficult concept to verbalize, but when you experience it in action, it is revolutionary.

I have very tight hamstrings and hips, and doing the NIS stretches really loosens them up.  I am able to get an extra 2-6 inches of flexibility during the NIS stretching, in a very short amount of time.  A long, slow static stretch may be able to accomplish that for me, but it takes a long time, and in a busy day with limited time to work out, that is not always a luxury I have.

To perform a neuro-integrated stretch, what you have to do is push your muscles, with resistance, in the opposite direction of the muscle you are intending to stretch.  My favorite was the hamstring stretch.  To try it out, lie on you back with your left leg extended and your right leg straight up in the air and your foot flexed.  Now, wrap a towel or band around your right foot and hold it taut.    Next, for a five second hold, push your right foot away from your body, using your quads, but keep resistance with the towel.  So, your left shouldn't move at all, but you should be struggling.  After the five second hold, release the tension in your legs and pull back with the towel or band.  You should see another couple of inches of flexibility in your hamstring.  You can then repeat this 2 or 3 more times.

If you are limited in your flexibility like I am, give neuro-integrated stretching a shot.  Stretching is a big component of overall wellness and NIS can be a new tool in your arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment