Monday, May 28, 2012

Recipe - Fresh Fruit Compote


A few weeks ago, I made a terrrific "healthy" pancake which I will share here some time.  But, when you make a helathy pancake, you can't drench it in store bought syrup. I'm not a natural maple syrup fan and even the best of healthy pancakes still leaves a bit of something to be desired if you eat them straight.  So, I was thinking about what I could add to make it more tasty without adding junk to it.  I enjoy fruit preserves, I have enjoyed fruit syrup, and I love fresh fruit so I decided to make a fruit compote.

I went through the fruit in my refrigerator and decided on a peach and berry compote.  You can substitute just about any fruits you like to make the compote and it will be delicious.

Ingredients

3 Medium Peaches (peeled and sliced)
1 Mango (cubed)
Juice of 1 orange
3 Tbsp natural berry preseves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 Cup Raspberries
1/2 Cup Strawberries (sliced)

Steps

  1. Rinse and clean all of the fruit
  2. In a small sauce pan, combine the peaches, mango, orange juice, preserves, cinnamon and ginger.
  3. Heat over medium high heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
  4. Wait for the fruit to break down and combines into a thick, chunky syrup.
  5. Add the raspberries and strawberries to the pan.
  6. Reduce the heat to low
  7. Continue to cook the compote on low heat for another 2 - 5 minutes while the berries break down.
  8. Keep the compote warm over very low heat until ready to use.
  9. Serve over pancakes, yogurt, toast, or on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment