Monday, May 21, 2012

Asylum in a Hotel Room

I travel for business nearly every week.  So, no matter what workout program I'm doing, at some point I'm going to need to do it in a hotel.  I've done Power 90, P90x, Insanity, P90x2, Brazilian Butt Lift, Rockin' Body, and now Asylum in a hotel room.

Asylum Equipment

The asylum gear that you comes with the program is an agility ladder, a speed jump rope, and two power bands.  There is also an assumption that you have either dumbbells or elastic bands.  When I travel, I bring a couple elastic bands, the power bands, and the agility ladder.  Unless you're going to go outside, there's no reason to bring the speed rope.  Very few indoor spaces allow room to jump rope, much less a hotel room.  Just go with the jumping in place modifications and practice the speed rope at home when you have some free time.  On occasion, I'll go down to the hotel gym to "borrow" some dumbbells and go through the whole routine with one set of weights. 

If you're going to pack those few things, they should easily fit in the smallest of suitcases, although you may need to put the agility ladder on an angle.  But, for just a couple extra pounds of weight, you can get your Asylum workout in.

Workout Space

Sometimes I feel bad doing a program like Asylum in my hotel room.  I know the jumping and running around has to cause some disturbance, but I haven't gotten a complaint yet.  Asylum is required the most space of any program that I've done to date.  For P90x and Insanity, I needed about a 6' x 6' area.  For Asylum, I think I really need about an 8' x 6' area.  The agility ladder is well over 5 feet long, and many of the moves require you to move well beyond the entire length of the ladder to complete them correctly.  Be warned, you may need to move furniture.  Generally, I try to cram as much as possible toward one corner of a room.  I slide the bed over.  I slide the nightstand over.  I rotate the couch or at least slide it over too.  I want to maximize the floor space available to me for Asylum.  (If you're going to move furniture, please be sure to move it back before you check out.) 

Once you've maximized your space, unless you're in a suite of some kind, you probably need to work the angles.  I find myself setting up the agility ladder diagonally across the space I have available so I can get around it safely and comfortably.  I also need to move and rotate it a few times depending on the sequence.  If I have to do moving pushups, I have to have clearance to the sides and the back, so I adjust accordingly.  You might lose a few seconds from the set, but that might be a welcome break

Summary

Do your best and dig deep every day.  Asylum is short at 30 days.  If you're doing it, you can't give up a few days in the middle; you'll lose too much momentum and motivation.  Bring the minimum gear with you, utilize all the space you have available to you and get out there to let Shaun T kick your ass!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment