Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Making Progress

I’ve been pushing as hard as I can with P90X2 for the last 7.5 weeks.  What has been crossing my mind while trying to catch my breath between sets is the prominent increase in my strength in the last year.  About 18 months ago I started Power 90.  I was pretty sure I didn't have the intensity/strength/will to do P90X, and I didn't want to get discouraged as so many do.

I went through the entire 90 days, plus 2 more months of the Power 90 Master Series using only the pink resistance band that came with it.  Disclaimer-I thought it was red until I got another red band and realized that I was using the pink band the whole time.  There definitely wasn't much muscle growth, but there was toning, and at the time, that was what I needed.  I just needed to be moving and doing something.  I developed my triceps (my favorite muscle) a bit and got some bicep definition, but that was probably mostly from losing fat.

Then, I remember when I started P90X and got the intermediate bands (burgundy, red, green (20,30,40)) and how I couldn't even curl up the green bands a few inches.  Fast forward 10 months and I’m doing curls with the black band, standing on one leg, and wanting more.

I guess that's the magic of the programs and fitness in general.  You won't see incredible growth in leaps in bounds if you’re measuring every day.  But if you keep at it and look back over time, you will make some incredible gains.

No comments:

Post a Comment