Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mike's P90x2 Story


As soon as I heard that P90x2 was coming out, I knew it was something that I would want to try. I like variety in my fitness. I enjoyed P90x and Tony Horton. I enjoyed Insanity with Shaun T. I knew that Tony would be stepping up the game with X2 and I wanted to be a part of it. I pre-ordered my copy on the day it was released.

My coach was putting together a challenge group of people that wanted to take on X2 to get ultimate results. I was pumped to take my fitness to the next level so I joined the X2 Crew, led by Coach Wayne. I spent the weeks leading up to the start of the challenge learning what I could and giving my all in the P90x, Insanity hybrid that I was on at the time. I was taking my Shakeology and tinkering with my diet to get ready to get some serious results.

On Jan 15, 2012, I did my first fit test and thought I had a good plan, taking Coach Wayne's lead, for my fitness and I stuck to it. Every day, 7 days/week, I pushed play. Every day, 7 days/week, I logged my meals into MyFitnessPal and planned to hit my 2100 calorie target. Every day I tried to give a little more than I did the last time.

First up was the Core phase. I had to buy a stability ball and travel foam roller to bring with me on the road. It was a whole new world. At first the workouts didn't seem too hard. The funny thing was, the more you did them, the harder they got. Each time I was able to give just a little more, and it took a little more out of me, and I loved every bit of it.

After three weeks of the Core phase, it was time for the Strength phase. Looking at the schedule, this seemed alot like the original P90x, so I was hoping for the best. Wouldn't you know it, Tony stepped it up with making everything a notch harder. I have rug burns across my body from falling off the medicine balls and stability ball. But, each session got better than the one before it, and each time it got a little harder because I could push just a little bit more. My favorite was Base + Back. It incorporated my two biggest weaknesses, jumping and pull-ups into a heart-pumping, sweat-drenched hour of glorious torture.

After 6 weeks of strength, I was ready for some recovery. I took a week to let my body heal and get in some serious yoga and foam rolling time, and time to play with my kids and enjoy a healthier me.

Finally it was on to the Performance phase. This was a whole new ball game. On paper, the workouts seem easy. They are seemingly simple moves and there isn't alot of them. But, when you put the moves together and perform them at a non-stop pace, it's a killer. The motivation in the X2 Crew pushed me to strap on a weighted vest for the last 2 P.A.P. sessions and that really upped the ante. I may have lost 19 lbs during the 90 days, but putting on a 20lb vest and trying to do a plyo push-up left me a spent pile of sweat on the floor at the end of the complex.

By the end of the 90 days, my fitness level had definitely improved. My final fitness test showed pretty good improvements across the board. I didn't fully hit my lofty goals, but I got better, and that is what this is really all about.

What P90x2 has done for me has put me in the best shape of my life. I haven't been this light since my high school years. I haven't been this strong ever. I never thought I'd see me abs. I never thought I could hop on the treadmill, run 3 miles, and feel good afterwards. I never thought I'd wear size 30 pants again. P90x2 did all of that for me in 90 days.

I still have a long way to go, but I'm on my way. The Asylum is up next and then I'm going to really work on my strength.

I want to send a special thanks to coach Wayne and the TeamRipped family; to Tony Horton and Beachbody for putting together a heck of a program, and especially to the X2 Crew for pushing me to kick my own ass every day for the past three months.

My P90x2 Results:

Day 1
Day 90
Weight
174.3
155.4
Pants Size
34
30
Body Fat %
17.78
13
Pull-Ups
7
12
Vertical Leap
14.5"
17"
Push-Ups
38
45
Toe Touch
0
1
In & Outs
41
63
Wall Squat
1:45
2:04
Bicep Curl
21 w/ Blk
30 w/ Blk

 


No comments:

Post a Comment