Monday, April 30, 2012

Why Aren't You Getting Results


Countless people start P90x or Insanity or 10 Minute Trainer or any program and never finish.  They aren't seeing results like they saw on TV so they just give up.  Remember, this isn't a 3 month investment, it's a lifetime.  You didn't get out of shape in 6 weeks.  Why would you expect to get in the best shape of your life in 4 weeks?

If you want the infomercial style gains in 60 or 90 days, you need to have 100% commitment from day 1 on both the workouts and nutrition and probably be blessed with some pretty good genes. If you want the best results you can get in 60 days or 90 days, you need to have 100% commitment to nutrition and the workouts. Any less than 100%, you'll be on your way, but the progress will come slower.

I spent a year doing Power 90, P90x, and Insanity. I lost about 20 lbs doing Power 90, but I was pretty overweight. I lost about 2 lbs in the first month of Insanity, and about 8 lbs in total. I pushed play every day and I know I dogged it a little in Pure Cardio and Max Cardio because I hated them. In the middle of the 1st week of the 2nd month, something Shaun T said really clicked with me. I don't remember the exact words, but it boils down to the fact that it's all mental. If you tell yourself you can't do something, you won't do it. If you tell yourself that you can and keep that positive message in your head, you will, or at least you'll do your best. Your body wants to remain as it is, it doesn't like change. Your brain is trying to protect your body and will try to stop you from doing what it has come to believe is too much. So basically, your body and mind are working against you as you get started into a workout program.
When the switch flipped for me, it was like night and day around my level of commitment. I started to try better with my diet. I started taking Shakeology daily. I gave my all every day in my P90x/Insanity hybrid and I was able to get down to 179 lbs, which was my goal for the end of 2011. In January, I started P90x2. Every day, I logged into MyFitnessPal and tracked what I ate and attempted to plan what I was going to be eating so that I could be within my 2100 calorie target and as close as possible to my macronutrient target of 40% carbs/30 protein/30 fat. Every day I pushed play. Every day I logged my workout on TeamBeachbody and on my coaches Facebook group. And for the first 11 weeks, I lost an average of about 1.5 lbs a week. For the last 2 weeks I upped my calories to 2400/day because I didn't want to lose any more weight, although I still have a little ways to go with my body far. I've been at that 2400 calorie level for about 4 weeks now and plan to stick with it as I kick off the Asylum next week. But, every day I'll keep tabs on how I feel, and check the scale every week and make adjustments to my plan. I'm hoping to get into the single digit body fat realm by the end of May.
Have you checked out MyFitnessPal yet? It really does help to see what you're putting into your body and have it broken down visually so that you can make adjustments if you need to. Are you giving your workouts everything you've got, every day?
What are your long-term fitness goals (what you're expecting by the end of the year)? If you're not getting results, I'd like you to set a few realistic goals for the duration of your program:.
  1. Calorie Target/day
  2. Carb/Protein/Fat target/day
  3. Cheat meals/week
  4. Are you going to push play every scheduled day for the rest of the program
  5. Waist Measurements (realistically), based on your day 1 measurement, or your current measurement if you didn't do the day 1
  6. Weight (realistically) - Remember that is takes a 3500 calorie deficit to burn 1 pound.
  7. Look at your day 1 picture (or your current picture if you didn't take the day 1) every day and tell yourself you don't want to be that person anymore.
Losing weight is hard work and if you aren't seeing the progress you want, that makes it even harder to keep up. You have to know WHY you're working out. You're not working out because you want to lose weight, it's deeper than that. Are there health concerns? Do you not like the way you look in the mirror? Do you get winded walking up the stairs? Do you want to be better at some sports? It may even be deeper than that, but if you can begin to understand WHY you're working out you can get to the place where you understand what you need to tell yourself to get and stay motivated. Once you're on a roll, it gets alot easier to maintain, but you have to work at it.

Now get out there, push play, dig deep, and show me what you are really capable of!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment