Friday, March 9, 2012

Fitness is a Family Affair

As a husband and a father of a 4 year old and 2 year old, a big reason I have really grasped to fitness was to be there for them for the long haul.  My wife has had a string of health issues including heart surgery, a broken wrist, and a broken toe in the past 2 years which has slowed her fitness progression, but she's getting there. 

When I'm off the road, I try to get some good play time in with my kids every day.  When the south Texas sun has subsided a bit, we walk to the park pretty often for an hour or so of slides, swings, and teeter-totters.  When it's warmer, my older daughter likes to "exercise" with her Nickelodeon fitness game on the Wii.  I'll give it to them; it's a bit of a workout if you really push it.

I work out early in the morning, and if my kids are up, they watch me.  My two year old watched me for the first time a few weekends ago and was enthralled and giggling as I was digging deeper through my Insanity workout.  My four year old has joined in from time to time with her own brand of form, and more of a play type atmosphere.  She really focuses on having to drink water when she exercises since she always sees me with a big glass of water.

Most importantly for us is eating well.  We're far from perfect, the kids like what they like, but we keep it in moderation.  The plates always have more vegetables than starchy sides and we try to get them to eat some meat.  Meals are usually followed by a piece of fruit, and then maybe a sweet if they still want it and they ate in good proportions.


Keeping your whole family involved in fitness and health keeps everyone accountable and on the same page and keeps the family together.  It gets the kids started on the right path to lifelong fitness and nutrition and can be a fun family-building activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment