Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I Used To Carry My Suitcase Everywhere

The other day, I was checking in my suitcase at the airport, as I do twice a week (I just find it easier than lugging it through the airport) and I noted that it weighed 37.5 lbs; a little heavy, but not too bad as far as suitcases go.  As I was bringing my repacked suitcase downstairs, I felt how heavy it really was and had a revelation.

18 months ago, I hopped on the scale and it claimed that I weighed 215 pounds.  I didn't want to believe it, but the camera and mirror really don't lie very well.  Right now, I weigh 157-160 lbs depending on the time of day, day of week, and what I choose to eat.  So, I used to carry much more than the equivalent weight of that suitcase on my body all day, every day.  No wonder I was winded going up the stairs of playing with my daughter for a little while.  I had the equivalent weight of a full suitcase packed with a week's worth of clothes, shoes, toiletries, supplements and exercise bands strapped to my midsection 24 hours a day.  That excess weight is more than my 4 year old weighs now, and I have a lot more in the tank to play with her and her sister.

I didn't take any magic potions. I didn't quit eating.  I didn't spend 6 hours/day in the gym.  I committed to eating better, eating less, and getting exercise on a daily basis.  I've been doing Beachbody programs for about 18 months now.  I am more committed than ever, and seeing more positive changes than ever.  That suitcase is not coming back onto my body, at least not as fat.  A few pounds of lean muscle would be nice, but that is for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment