Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Recipe - Roasted Cauliflower Mash

I'm always looking for new ways to dress up veggies so that my kids eat them, and, to be hones, so I will too.  My idea this week was to do a roasted cauliflower mash.  I've been roasting alot of vegetables as a new way to add flavor, and I've seen cauliflower "mashed potatoes" on TV, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

My thinking was that I could roast the cauliflower to give it some added flavor and color.  Then, I would add in everything that makes a good mashed potato, without a loads of fat, and I've have a good side dish.  It came out great and was super easy.






Ingredients

1 Head of Cauliflower
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tbsp Butter
1/4 C Skim Milk
2 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp black pepper

Preparation

Preheat your over to 400 degrees.
Cut half of the head of cauliflower into florets.
Rinse the cauliflower in a collander and pat dry.
Peel the 3 cloves of garlic.
In a large bowl, combine the rinsed cauliflower, garlic cloves, and olive oil.
Toss to coat evenly with the oil.
On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spread out the mixture evenly.
Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until soft and lightly browned.
While the cauliflower is roasting, preheat 1 C water in a double boiler (alternately boil 4 C of water in a pot)
Cut the other half of the cauliflower head into florets.
Rinse the cauliflower and add it to the double boiler to steam it.  (Alternately, add directly to the water to boil it)
Cook the cauliflower until softened (about 10 minutes)
Drain the water from the double boiler and combine the steamed cauliflower with the roasted cauliflower and garlic in the pot.  You want to use the pot that you steamed the cauliflower in becuase it is still warm and will help remove some excess moisture, and keep everything warm.
Add the butter, milk, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
With a hand mixer (or manually with a masher), mash everything together just like you would with mashed potatoes.  I like to do it for about 3 minutes to get a finer texture, but you can do it to your liking.

From start to finish, this took me about 35 minutes.  It tasted great as a side dish to some grilled chicken and got my kids to eat a vegetable they normally shun.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment