Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Reflecting on Getting Older, er...Better

Flash back to each of my birthdays between when I turned 25 and 3 years ago.  Each time, I felt older, weaker, fatter; like I was breaking down and everything would be downhill. 

Flash back two years. I was about a month into Power 90 and 3 months into trying to eat less.  I was down 20 lbs and feeling better, but I knew I had a long way to go.

Flash back one year.  I'd been at the exercise thing for a year and had good results.  For the first time in over a decade, I was feeling pretty good about my age going up a year.  I was a graduate of P90x and I was about to finish Insanity, I was down about 35 lbs from my high and my motivation was high.

As the page turns on another year, I can't believe how good I feel.  I'm now also a graduate of P90x2, Asylum, and 2/3 of the way through Body Beast and looking forward to Asylum 2.  I push play 6 days a week, at least.  I hit what I consider to be my bottom weight, down 60 lbs from my high of 215.  I've added back a few pounds of lean muscle mass and I actually have some visible muscles.

A few short years ago I dreaded my birthdays.  I was on the path to death.  Now, at 37 years old, I'm in the best shape of my life and it gets better every day.  I workout, I eat right, I have energy to play with my kids, I've been able to inspire a number of people to join my on this journey, and I love it.  Age is just a number.  What's important is how you feel on the inside. As I celebrate my birthday, I give thanks and look forward to another year of getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment