Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Failure

There should be no failure.  The only time you fail is when you don't give it another shot.  I know many people, myself included who haven't been very successful at various workouts or diet programs in the past.  If I quit the first time that I thought Power 90 was hard, I'd have quit on day 1.  If I through in the towel the first time I succumbed to the alluring aroma of a waffle cone filled with ice cream, I wouldn't be where I am today.  If I quit after not being able to keep up with the cast of the Insanity Fit Test the first time out, I wouldn't have made it through the warm-up.  If I would have said, "I can't do a pull-up so I'm not going to do P90x", I'd still be watching the infomercials thinking that what these people are doing is way beyond anything I could ever do.

It doesn't have to be that way and it shouldn't.  If you're reading this today, you are probably on some part of your fitness journey.  You might be flying high right now, you might be feeling like giving up.  Don't!!!
Giving up is easy.  It's easy to stop at McDonald's and get a Big Mac, Fries, a shake, a couple apple pies and wash it down with a Diet Coke.  It's just as easy to decide that you should probably stop by the produce aisle and pick up a salad a a prepared chicken breast.  It's easy to say "I can't do all the reps in Ab Ripper so I'm gonna skip it."  It's just as easy to say that I'm going to do as many as I can today.  Try to do more next time.  Then eventually get all 349 reps.  It's easy to say that you're going to sleep in and workout tonight, only to find out that your favorite program is on and the workout will have to wait.;  It's just as easy to get up, get going and be full of energy and satisfaction all day, and not feel guilty when you watch your show at night.

None of us are perfect.  We make mistakes; we take a day off of our workouts or have a cheat meal here or there.  So what, you didn't fail.  You had a bad day.  Resolve to do better tomorrow, and then follow through.  It's take me a couple years to get to where I am today and I still have a long way to go to maximize my potential, but I keep working at.  I slip up sometimes, but I get back at it and move on.  If you're not failing, you're not trying.  Keep doing your best everyday and will surpass your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment