Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Eating to Gain Weight

To put on muscle like a beast, you need to eat like a beast.  For me, the problem is that after 2 years of eating to lose weight, I'm switching gears to try to gain weight.  Honestly, I didn't know where to start.  I read the guidebook with the nutrition but I also knew what I had been eating and how I felt at very levels of calories.  The problem isn't eating.  I still remember how to do that.  I could go for the "see food" diet - you see food, you eat it.  But, I don't want to get fat.  I could stick with what I've been doing at 2100-2400 calories, but I want to gain muscle.

The Body Beast Plan

I decided to follow the Body Beast plan for my size and weight and stick to near the macros suggested.  For me, at 5'9", starting at 159 lbs, my recommendation was about 2800 calories.  The standard recommendation for the first two phases is 50% carbs / 25% protein / 25% fat.  The thing with the beast nutrition plan is to keep adjusting throughout.  I've found that constant adjustment helps me to really dial in, and this is nothing idfferent.  To gain muscle and weight, you need to run a constant surplus of calories.  Like with weight loss, 3500 calories/week or 500 calories a day will net you around a pound.  Whether you are trying to gain or lose, it's the same deal.  My goal is to gain a pound a week to end the Beast at 170 lbs and still have some visible abs.  We shall see.

What to Eat

I read a post from Sagi Kalev, the Body Beast trainer, this week that described a normal breakfast for him.  I don't remember all the details, but it started with 16 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 2 slices of whole grain bread, etc.  I can't even phathom eating that much in a whole day, but he's alot bigger than me and has been at it alot longer.  What I've done is to slightly increase my serving sizes and snack sizes.  So, instead of 3 egg whites, 1 egg, and a turkey sausage link for breakfast, I've upped it to 4 egg whites, 2 links of sausage, and some fat free cheese.  I've added some granola and fruit to my yogurt.  I use Shakeology as a snack now, and sometimes with a piece of fruit mixed in.  I have larger portions of meat and whold grains.  I've also thrown in some extra fruit to keep my carb levels up.

I want to gain muscle.  I want to be a beast.  I'm working on adapting my diet without making wholesale changes.  If you are part of the group of people who need to gain weight and gain muscle, the Body Beast plan can work for you.  Remember to work hard, eat right, eat enough, and do whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment