Saturday, September 1, 2012

Recipe - Cauliflower Pizza Crust

If I can replace a high-carb grain with a lower-calorie, unprocessed ingredient, that's a plus in my book. Building on the success I found with cauliflower rice, I set out to see what else I could do with it. I came across cauliflower pizza crust.  It seems like a reasonable possibility, so I wanted to give it a shot.  Whenever I find a recipe concept, I research as many recipes as I can to find the ones that I think will work best and then use what I beleive are the best pieces of each to come up with my recipe.


After you make the crust, top it with your favorite regular pizza toppings and enjoy.  I really like a little sauce, some turkey sausage and fat-free mozzarella.  You can add any toppings to this that you would with regular pizza, so go for it.

Ingredients

1 Head of Cauliflower
1 beaten Egg
4 oz soft goat cheese
Italian Seasoning Blend
Olive Oil
Garlic Powder

Preparation

Preheat your over to 400 degrees.
Make cauliflower rice per my recipe HERE
Make sure you wring the heck out of it to get as much moisture as possible out. The drier it is, the crispier you can make the crust.
In a large bowl, add the dried, fluffed cauliflower rice, the beaten egg, the goat cheease (broken into small pieces, and the italian seasoning blend.
Mix it well with your hands (for some reason dough works better when you do it with your hands). You want it all to be very well incorporated.
On a sheet pan or pizza stone lined with parchment paper, spread out the cauliflower dough.  It will be a bit wet, and nothing like regular dough at this point.
Shape the dough into a circle or rectangle, about 1/4" thick.  I though the rectangle was easier to accomplish.
Drizzle some olive oil on top and gently spread it around to help with browning. 
Top it with a few shakes of garlic powder.
Bake it in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until it is browned and fairly firm.

From there take the crust out, top it with your favorite pizza ingredients and put it back in the over until the cheese is melted and enjoy a healthier alternative to your regular old pizze.

No comments:

Post a Comment